Friday, January 26, 2007

Broadway Cafe



I really like the Broadway Cafe. The Broadway Cafe is a coffee house and roastery. They also serve premade sandwiches and the usual pastries and such.

If you are looking for a Star Bucks clone, this is not the place for you. It is the choice of ecletic folks. Growing up in West Texas, diversity meant wearing Levis instead of Wranglers. At the Broadway it is not uncommon to see a kid with a blue mohawk in line behind behind a guy with a suit.

One morning during the 2004 election season I was registering people to vote in Westport. I stopped in for a lattee and met a buddist monk who was getting his morning wake me up. He at least seemed like a real monk. He was wearing the orange robes and had prayer beads. I talked to him for a little bit. He was already registered and said he voted in every election.

In the summer, people sit outside drink coffee, smoke cigarettes and talk about whatever. You half expect Jack Kerouac and Neil Cassady to stop by.

The Broadway is not just a place for bohemians and hipsters, even family guys like me can feel at home. At the back of the cafe they have a bookshelf. There are number of childrens books. Zoe and Kai usually go with me. I have coffee and they have juice and cookie.


The staff is very friendly. Prices are average, probably about the same as Star Bucks. Speaking of Starbucks, they opened a store right next to the Broadway. So you have two coffee houses adjacent to each other. It is kind of neat to look at the two and look at the differences in each's clientel.

Anyway, the Broadway is a cool place to go and gets my recommendation.

3 comments:

Joe said...

Where is it?

Dan said...

Broadway Cafe is just south of Westport Road on Broadway. In my opinion, their coffee is hands-down the best in Kansas City. The only problem is, as a middle-aged, suit-wearing, balding guy, I feel like a narc in there. But I love it anyhow.

Anonymous said...

You say you feel like a narc, but I thought this was a coffee shop.
I am guessing that there are more reasons than coffee to go to the Broadway Cafe?