Sunday, September 16, 2007

Go ride the bus!

I ride the bus, because Al Gore said if I didn't that everyone would die. Add to that, my car just passed 172,000 miles and the last $800 repair bill almost broke me (thank goodness for credit cards with 20% interest rates). I kid myself in to thinking that each day I ride the bus, that is one more day my car will last.

About four times a week I ride the 57 from Waldo to downtown, to drop off or pick up my kids, then ride back before my transfer pass expires. Kids under 6 ride free, my 7 year old has only been carded once and that driver was a real witch anyway. Overall, KC bus drivers are some of the most courteous city employees I have ever met. They give out more directions than a gas station attendant and have to listen to more than their share of chatty passengers and crazy people.

The folks that ride ride the bus are mostly low income to middle class. Then sprinkle in a few non-conformist kids and crazy people. About every fourth trip their is a crazy person on the bus. Usually its not a big deal, your run of the mill talking about aliens type (last month a guy told me the world would end this September, keep your fingers crossed.) Every now and then it is the creepy kind of crazy and you wait patiently for your stop to come.

You might think that I would be a light rail supporter. But I have never met a light rail supporter that actually uses public transportation. The light rail proposal runs the same route as current bus lines. No one has said rail will run faster, cost less or have longer hours. So why would KC want to spend so much on light rail that doesn't have any obvious benefits? Some folks say that rail creates "destinations" and there are studies that some people who think they are too good to ride the bus, will actually ride light rail.

Maybe instead of spending the hundreds of millions on light rail we should expand the current bus system. That would help the people that need it most.

But hey, what do I know. So if you have never ridden the bus, then you should give it a try. If you are one of those that rides the bus, then Al Gore and I thank you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

good point!

Anonymous said...

light rail has higher passenger capacity (200+) and the vehicles last twice as long (~25 yrs) as a typical diesel bus (holding 70 people and lasting 12 yrs). it also adds riders, unlike yourself, who would never ride a bus in the first place. while you see that as an argument against light rail, i see it as a way to elevate ridership on the entire system, which has been proven time and time again in cities like ours. if we continue just running buses, those riders will simply never appear. is it worth $1 billion and a decade of lobbying for federal funding? that's up for voters to decide. we end up lobbying for BRT enhancements and bus replacement anyway since the ATA is running on fumes as it is. lobbying the feds is part of any transit agency's daily life, light rail or not.

then the are the very intangible things that come with being in the light rail league. it's probably best to compare it to things like having an airport with non-stop international flights, hosting two professional sports teams, or the funding the WWI museum... you may never want or use any of those things, but you're probably glad they're here, adding to the city's livability factor.

or maybe there's nothing that can be said to sway you, and you're certainly not alone since the light rail question passed only by a smidge.

Anonymous said...

Joe:

Excellent post!! I myself take the 28 bus (or sometimes the 175 over to waldo then get on the max) to city market each weekend, and back.

I don't think you're kidding yourself about your car, however. Any miles you avoid putting on your car indeed extends it's life. My wife generally walks or bikes a mile to the park-and-ride to take the 25 bus to UMKC. This cuts down on driving, and causes her much loved car to rack up fewer miles

An added benefit you have not mentioned is safety. Simply put, the most dangerous activity you're likely to engage in is actually driving your car. It really is THE most dangerous way to pass your time. I believe some 40,000 people die each year in traffic accidents. Travel by bus is an order of magnitude more safe -- and you have the health benefits of generally walking a bit more than if you were driving.

Don't let people look at you like you're crazy, and imply the individuals on the bus (yes, the crazy ones) are themselves dangerous. Anyone who's used public transportation recognizes they are at worst, in the words of Douglas Adams: 'mostly harmless'.

Thanks for a great post!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I don't see the lightrail going on Grand anymore. Not after those pop up barriers on Grand came up.

I'm guessing those barriers will be up at all Sprint Arena's events.

Anonymous said...

Joe got ran over by MAX