Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Candidate Forum at Lesbian/Gay community center

Tonight I went to the 4th district candidate forum at the lesbian and gay community center in Westport. All of the candidates where there except Mel Solomon and Beth Gottstein. Mel was sick and Beth was stuck in an airport in Denver (or so they say).

Their opening statements were your typical politician stuff. Jan Marcason gave a quick nod to the forum hosts by explaining how she pushed for diversity in all the groups she had worked with. Doug Gamble asked if anyone had been a victim of crime or new a victim of crime, then promised to make crime prevention a top priority. I thought that was a pretty weak intro. I mean WHO doesn't know a crime victim? Rita Valenciano started off with a joke "I don't want to alarm you, but I am Mexican." She then went on to say she wasn't responsible for what her children did. Everyone got a good laugh. I would guess that at least half the crowd got the inside joke about her son's blog. Of the bunch I would say Rita had the most compelling opening statement.

Next came the questions. The moderator asked about some Urban Society plan. It had to do with not making urban areas look like the suburbs (aka big box stores and lots of parking lots). I thought Mark Forsythe had the best answer. He talked about how strip malls were bad and seemed to know his stuff. Jan, I thought had the weakest answer. She basically said, I am more involved with people, but I am learning about blah blah blah. I have to give credit to Deth, his answer was the most honest of the bunch. He basically said that we need less people to drive their cars, but how many people will give up their cars for mass transit? For all of the talk of mass transit and urban living, he is right, it ultimately comes down to individual folks willing to take the bus (or train).

Next question was on how the city used the health care levy money for regular city operations. Everyone said that was wrong and gave their spin on why it was so bad. This is something I didn't know about. I remember voting for the health care levy a year or so back. It really pissed me off the money wasn't going to health care and I wonder why it wasn't reported on more.

The next question they took was mine. "Do you (or would you) send your kids to KCMO public schools." The group was split. Jan sent hers to St. Paul, Doug sent his to Catholic schools, Mark said if he had kids they would go to Academie Lafayette. The best answer was from Deth. He talked about how the KCMO schools may not be great overall, but there are pockets of good schools within the system. Deth said his daughter will go to Border Star. The KCMO district on average performs way below the state average, but if you go school by school, you will find a few schools that outperform the local suburban schools. Deth seemed to get that. On the opposite side was Rita Valenciano . This was the only question where I didn't like her answer. She talked about knowing people who's "only" alternative was the KCMO schools, basically putting down anyone who would willfully send their kids there. My son went to pre-K in a KCMO school and they had him reading before kindergarten. I have been very happy with the school. Of course I didn't plop him in the nearest school, but looked very closely at all of the magnet schools first. Her comment just kind of struck a nerve with me.

Next was a question about whether any of the candidates had known about the Lesbian/Gay community center prior to this forum. Dough has the coolest answer. He said something like that being in the hospitality industry he know where all of the gay spots where.

The moderator asked each candidate if he would support a law to add gender id to the city's non-discrimination policy. The city already prohibits discrimination of gays. I had figured they would give different answers on this, but everyone said they would support a change in the city's policy. I was really shocked by this (in a good way). I grew up in a place were a hint of gayness would get you beat up and here were politicians saying that discrimination based on gender id was wrong. It really pointed out the differences between KC and west Texas.

When asked about light rail and gondolas, everyone thought the gondolas where a joke, but that we should look into light rail. Jan Marcason had a strange comment though. She said that someone was asleep at the wheel when the light rail proposal was put on the ballot. I mean didn't it get on the ballot because VOTERS SIGNED THE PETITION? So is she saying that most voters are asleep at the wheel? I am guessing she doesn't know how petitions like that can get on the ballot. Then again, maybe voters were asleep at the wheel.

Overall I liked Mark Forsythe for in district. He seemed to know his stuff and was very eager to talk policy. Doug Gamble really pushed his business background. That may be well and good, but I've never really gone for businessman turned politicians. Ezekiel Amador didn't say much that was exciting. He seems like a good enough guy, I just wasn't real impressed with his answers. Jan Marcason made the comment that she had been in politics for most of her adult life. That kind of summed her up for me.

For 4th district at large I liked both Rita and Deth. I think Rita was the better speaker. She had very heartfelt stories about her work experience and seemed to have great cred in working for the community. Deth seemed very enthusiastic and the type of guy you could actually call up if you had a problem. Of the whole group both in candidate and at large, Deth and Rita seemed the most genuine. Win or loose I expect that both will be involved in the community for years to come.

3 comments:

The Northern Flyer Alliance said...

thanks for the recap, joe. i really wanted to attend.

Mark said...

Thanks for the kind words Joe. You gave me a break on my opening statement which frankly, sucked. I knew it, you knew it, everybody in the room knew it! I think I made up for it in the Q&A though.

I'm working on my opening for tonight's Volker forum. I have to do better!

Anonymous said...

Deth Im has clips of his answers to the questions poised at the forum on his website, vote4deth.com